When I think of my future career in journalism, I usually think of an uphill struggle. I hear how newspaper readership is declining and viewers don't trust local news stations. It appears that jobs in journalism are few and far between, but according to "The Art of Editing" by Brian S. Brooks and James L. Pinson, "Editing jobs are so plentiful, in fact, that companies are often willing to pay editors a higher salary than writers." I was under the impression that if a reporting job is hard to come by, so is an editing job. However, since media is converging it only makes sense that new jobs are being created for editors. "Convergence is creating a demand for a new type of editor, one as capable of handling a magazine or newspaper story as editing video and the words that accompany it," said Brooks and Pinson.
I agree with the idea that the younger generation is bored by newspapers and needs a fresh way of learning information. Brooks and Pinson describe a University of Missouri research project where a student says, "It can't be way cool. It's a newspaper." Children today are more keen to watch television and play video games than read a book or play outside. Similarly, they will want to gather news in the same way. I think it's quite sad that newspaper sales are declining. I'd rather get my information from print media than the Internet. Digital newspapers may be the print newspapers of tomorrow, and those in the media industry have no choice but to keep up with the trends.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment